Kids are invited to explore all kinds of building this summer with Swanton Public Library’s 2018 children’s Summer Reading Program. The goal: Read for 500 minutes (8 hours, 20 minutes) between June 11 and July 31 – that’s only about 10 minutes a day.
All children up through fifth grade can sign up beginning June 11 all the way through July 30. Children 2 and under can sign up with their guardians to do an activity sheet instead. Winners will get prizes and their names entered in a grand prize drawing.
Weekly parties are also offered during June and July for fun and prizes. Children attend according to the grade just completed in school. Times for each age group are as follows:
• The kickoff for all ages will be the “Ice Cream Rocks!” Party on Monday, June 11 at 10:30 a.m. Come to the library for a build-your-own-ice-cream-sundae bar, stories, games, and more. Bring the whole family. This is also the first time children can sign up for the reading.
• Toddlers (ages 2 and under with guardian) meet on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 12 through July 24.
• Preschoolers (ages 3 to 5) meet on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 12 through July 24.
• Grades K, 1, and 2 meet on Thursday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 14 through July 26.
• Grades 3, 4, and 5 meet on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 13 through July 25.
• On four days, all ages are invited to attend the events on Wednesday, June 27, Thursday, June 28, and Thursday, July 5 at 10:30 a.m., and on Thursday, July 12 at 5 p.m.
The final party for grades K and up and their families will be on Tuesday, July 31 at 10:30 a.m. Join Drummunity and make some music together. Audience participation, banging on instruments, and more. The grand prize drawing will follow immediately at 11:15 a.m.
Contests: There are contests for children at the library as well throughout June and July. In June, figure out song titles based on pictures of gems. Guess them all and get a prize from the Stash. In July, find 15 pictures of instruments and win a prize.
For more information call 419-826-2760, visit the library’s website at www.swantonpubliclibrary.org/summer-reading-program or visit the library at 305 Chestnut Street in Swanton.