Swanton will host football games despite fire


Staff Report



A fire that damaged the bleachers will not stop Swanton High School from hosting a football game on Friday. The Bulldogs will play Tiffin Calvert Friday at 7 p.m. with a portion of the bleachers at David Hansbarger Stadium blocked off to fans.

The fire damaged the stands last Friday. It began in polyurethane pads and mats used for track and field that are stored under the bleachers, and quickly moved to a 20-foot by 10-foot section of the bleachers at the north end of the home field side.

Swanton Fire Department Deputy Chief Gary Roytek said polyurethane burns very hot and quickly, and was responsible for warping the steel and melting the section of bleachers.

Superintendent Jeff Schlade said the damage to the pads was estimated at $21,000. There is not yet an estimate on the damage to the stadium.

Starting with the next home game, which is the league opener against Archbold on Sept. 16, district officials hope to have portable bleachers in place to accommodate the crowds.

http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2016/09/web1_BLeacher-hole.jpg

Staff Report