The Swanton Fire Department is investigating a fire that swept through a portion of the bleachers Friday in Hansbarger Stadium.
Deputy Chief Gary Roytek said numerous 9-1-1 calls reporting the fire were placed around 4:38 p.m. The fire began in polyurethane pads and mats used for track and field that are stored under the bleachers, and quickly moved to a 20-foot by 10-foot section of the bleachers at the north end of the home field side.
Roytek said polyurethane burns very hot and quickly, and was responsible for warping the steel and melting the section of bleachers.
No damage estimate was available. Anyone with information about the fire can call the fire department at 419-825-1455.