Explore all kinds of movement this summer with Swanton Public Library’s 2016 children’s Summer Reading Program.
The reading goal: Read for 500 minutes between June 6 and July 29. That’s only about 10 minutes a day. All children up through fifth grade can sign up beginning June 6 all the way through July 28.
Children two and under can sign up with their guardians to do an activity sheet instead. Winners will get prizes and their names entered in the Grand Prize Drawing.
Weekly parties are also offered during June and July for fun and prizes. Children attend according to the grade just completed in school. Times for each age group are as follows:
– The kickoff for all ages will be the “Get Ready, Get Set, Ice Cream!” Party on Monday, June 6 at 10:30 am. Come to the library for a make-your-own-ice-cream-sundae bar, stories, games, and more. Bring the whole family! This is also the first time kids can sign up for the reading.
– Toddlers (ages 2 and under with guardian) meet on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 7 through July 26.
– Preschoolers (ages 3 to 5) meet on Tuesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 7 through July 26.
– Grades K, 1, and 2 meet on Thursday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 9 through July 28.
– Grades 3, 4, and 5 meet on Wednesday mornings at 10:30 a.m., June 8 through July 27.
– The final party for grades K and up and their families will be on Friday, July 29 at 10:30 a.m. Zeemo the Magnificent will be here to do his magical juggling show! There will be demonstrations of yo-yo playing, juggling, kendama, and Chinese diabolos. There will also be a juggling workshop after for anyone who wants to learn how! The Grand Prize Drawing will follow immediately at 11:45 a.m.
Dinosaur School: Children ages four up through second grade can attend weekly sessions of the “Incredible Years Prevention Program” or “Dinosaur School” at 11:15 a.m. on Tuesdays, starting June 7. This is a program that builds social skills through fun and learning, put on by Four County Family Center.
Music & Movement: New this summer, preschoolers and their families can also attend a Monday afternoon series focusing on literacy and learning through music and songs! Children will play instruments, learn simple dances and songs, and hear stories relating to the songs and theme of the week.
The focus is on preschoolers but all ages are welcome. Come on Monday afternoons at 4:30 p.m., June 6 through July 25.
Contests: There are contests for children at the library as well throughout June and July. Every week, a picture of a baseball will be hidden in a new place. Find it and fill out its location on the entry slip, then bring the slip to the front desk to get a prize. Only one submission per week, please.
In June, children can also look for fifteen pictures of sports things hidden in the children’s area. Find all 15 and pick a prize from the Stash.
For more information call 419-826-2760, visit the library’s website at www.swantonpubliclibrary.org/summer-reading-program or visit the library at 305 Chestnut St.