On Monday, the Village of Swanton began limiting access to the village municipal building until further notice due to the new coronavirus. This measure is being observed in accordance with the recommendations from the Ohio Department of Health and Gov. Mike DeWine.
Village staff will continue working and operating as normally as possible. While physical access to the municipal building is being reduced, village staff can still serve the needs of the public and answer questions over the phone or through email. For citizens who already had a meeting scheduled with a village official at the municipal building, an official will reach out to discuss the appointment.
A few important points:
• Municipal building: The doors will be temporarily closed to the public but village staff will be working. Call 419-826-9515, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. with general questions.
More information on the police station side of the municipal building will be announced in the future.
Water treatment and water resource recovery plants will continue operation but will limit access.
• Utility payments: All utility payments will be accepted via mail to 219 Chestnut St.; drop off at the silver box near the police station entrance on Chestnut Street or online at https://bit.ly/2INU75N.
For cash payments, a credit will be issued, and there will be no change given. Questions can be addressed by calling the utility office at 419-826-9515 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Water/sewer: If there is an issue with water or sewer service, call the Public Service Division at 419-826-2531. Public Service crews will continue to work and respond to emergencies as needed.
• Zoning: Call 419-826-9515 or email email@example.com.
• Village Council meetings: During this time, Council will continue to meet as scheduled on the second and fourth Mondays of the month. All meetings will continue to be open to the public.
• Other inquiries: Call the Administration Office at 419-826-9515 from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. or visit the Village of Swanton website, www.villageofswantonohio.us.
These precautions were put in place to ensure the safety of both village employees and residents.
The Swanton Public Library has closed as a preventative measure to the new coronavirus. The re-open date is still to be determined.
The staff will be on hand during normal hours to take calls from the public.
They will also be offering a request/pick up service twice a day starting Monday, March 16. Pick up times will be Monday through Thursday, 2-2:30 p.m. and 6-6:30 p.m. and Friday and Saturday form 10:30-11 a.m. and 4-4:30 p.m.
Any requests placed can be picked up during those times. Patrons will be contacted by phone when an item becomes available.
To take advantage, patrons can request items through the library’s website, email, social media, or by calling 419-826-2760.
Fines will all be waived during this period, and checkouts will last a month with the exception of Wi-Fi hot spots. Also, the library’s Wi-Fi will be available in the parking lot, and stretches out into Pilliod Park.
While the building is closed to the public, library officials encourage patrons to use the Ohio Digital Library through the Overdrive and Libby apps. For any information on this or the status of the closure, contact the library. Updates will be issued regularly on the library’s social media pages.