A proclamation naming March Red Cross Month was among the business at a relatively light Swanton Village Council meeting last Monday. Local Red Cross volunteers Karen David and Jan Snyder were on hand for Mayor Ann Roth’s reading of the proclamation.
“In the Village of Swanton, the Red Cross has a long history of helping our neighbors in need,” said Roth. “The West Central Ohio Chapter assisted 208 local disasters in the past year alone.”
March is Red Cross Month nationwide.
“We applaud our heroes here in the Village of Swanton who give of themselves to assist their neighbors when they need a helping hand,” said Roth.
Also at the meeting, council unanimously approved four emergency ordinances. They approved providing services to a proposed area of annexation on US 20A (Airport Highway) by petition Terry and Shirley Sampsel, an agreement with Ronau Farms to farm village owned land next to the Swanton Reservoir, and applying for JAG and Fire Department Training grants.
• Village offices will be closing at noon on Friday, March 22, for a remodel. The office is slated to reopen Monday, March 25, but will operate out of the mayor’s office. It is anticipated that the remodel should be completed by the end of the day on March 26.
• Fulton County Commissioners are scheduled to attend the March 11 Village Council meeting.
• Council approved spending $12,883 for a joint repaving project with Swancreek Township. Properties located in both the township and village are on the road, so they will share the cost.
• Council is still waiting for more information from Republic Services before approving a refuse contract renewal.
According to Village Administrator Rosanna Hoelzle, Council requested Republic Services break down their total proposed monthly cost by these categories: waste pick up, recycling pick up, quarterly bulk pick up. Due to the increase in recycling costs throughout the United States, Council would like to evaluate how much of the proposed increase is related to recycling.
• New Swanton police officer John Trejo was introduced.
Reach Drew Stambaugh at 419-335-2010 or on Twitter @Swan_Enterprise