10 Years Ago
• Fulton County Commissioners approved a sales tax increase from 6.5% to 7%.
• Swanton football topped Montpelier 23-14 as Travis Hilton completed 9 of 11 passes for 190 yards.
25 Years Ago
• Adding boys soccer and girls soccer at Swanton High School was discussed at a Board of Education meeting.
• Vying for Homecoming Queen at Swanton High Schol were Kate Grabarczyk, Renee Bolling, Dawn Grabarczyk, Darla Nowak, Brandy Pontious, Angie Stinehelfer, and Sylvia Serratos.
• It was announced that a Delta area site was still in the running for a 500,000 square-foot steel mini-mill.
50 Years Ago
• Swanton had 46 juniors and 61 seniors enrolled at Penta County Vocational High School.
• An open house was scheduled for the new Toledo Masonic Complex on Heatherdowns Boulevard.
75 Years Ago
• Swanton dropped its season opening football contest to Delta, 13-0. Admission for the home opener against Holland was advertised at 60 cents for adults and 30 cents for students.
• Centerville Grocery offered a 46-ounce jar of pineapple juice for 42 cents.
90 Years Ago
• A “baby blimp” from Goodyear Rubber Company was expected to be one of the attractions at the Swanton Corn Festival. The article on the festival stated, “Elaborately decorated streets and stores will welcome the visitors expected to come for many miles to this largest of northwestern Ohio festivals.”
• Swanton High School opened football season with a 53-0 win over Holland. Welch and Elton were the stars.
• An article stated that The Pilliod Cabinet Company had the distinction of being the largest purchaser of red cedar and of stationery in the United States.