Lucas County will not be granted a last-minute request for 50 additional beds in 2018 at the Corrections Center of Northwest Ohio, the facility’s commission decided last week.
By an 8-2 vote, CCNO board members denied the allocation following a special meeting held Oct. 4 in which Lucas County asked for more bed space. The county presently contracts for 275 spaces.
The board explained its decision by saying the county repeatedly postponed selecting the number of beds it wanted, a decision originally due in July. Board Chairman Robert Hastedt noted that Lucas County was accommodated with several extensions until the Oct. 4 meeting, when 275 beds were requested. At a meeting held Oct. 25, the county requested 50 additional beds for next year, for a total of 325.
Hastedt said that during the county’s extension period CCNO contracted with the U.S Marshal Services for the extra beds at a $90 per diem rate, which exceeds the $69.42 operating rate paid by the facility’s members.
According to Dennis Sullivan, director of CCNO Security and Operations, that agreement was made because the beds in question were empty following the Oct. 4 meeting. The loss of revenue amounted to $550,000 which threatened potential cutbacks and staff layoff.
Sullivan said CCNO board members contracted with U.S. Marshal Services out of fear Lucas County would pull from the facility as it had in 2016. The departure left the facility with a $1.3 million deficit. The county previously informed CCNO is would leave the facility, then withdrew the notice. The county also claimed it would place a bond issue on the ballot to build its own jail, but that was withdrawn.
CCNO Director Jim Dennis said he’s confident the allotment of U.S Marshal Services beds will be filled more routinely.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU