Swanton Village Council approved fire service contracts with Swancreek and Fulton Townships at their meeting last Monday.
The cost is based on figures provided by Fulton County Auditor Brett Kolb that account for market value, address points, and census data, along with runs. If approved by the entities, the cost of fire coverage would increase from $79,108 to $111,914.75 for Swancreek Township and from $38,260 to $55,089.53 for Fulton Township.
The townships now also need to approve the contracts. Swancreek Township was scheduled to meet April 17 and Fulton Township will meet April 20.
If approved the contract would be retroactive to Jan. 1, 2017.
Village Council also approved by emergency a resolution authorizing the village administrator to apply for an Ohio Department of Natural Resources grant for repairing and remodeling the pavilion at Memorial Park. A first reading was approved at the previous meeting, but emergency passage was requested to ensure the application is submitted with ample time.
• An ordinance changing the parking rules on Woodland Avenue in Swanton did not get a third reading. It had banned all parking on Woodland between Church Street and Zeiter Way. It was suggested the parking be prohibited only outside business hours, as employees of AquaBlok park on the street.
A new ordinance will need to be approved with the change.
• A brief update was given on the joint fire district study.
• The resignation of police officer JD Rahman was accepted effective April 21.
• Police sergeant Tyler Gehrig reported to council that there will be a mock crash at Swanton High School on April 28 at 12:30 p.m. It is open to the public.
• Hoelzle reported that a drainage project near Memorial Park is slated to be a 2017 project. The project would be designed to ease water issues that occur on area properties, including the school bus garage and Fessenden Hardware.
• Jones and Henry engineers will work on a preliminary engineering proposal for the next sewer separation project. It will be on Lawrence Avenue, Harrison Avenue, and Church Street from the curve to Hallett Avenue and is slated for 2018.
The preliminary engineering work is required to apply for funding.
Reach Drew Stambaugh at 419-335-2010