Alarm forces students from Crestwood Elementary


By Drew Stambaugh - dstambaugh@civitasmedia.com



Some Swanton elementary school students got an unexpected trip outside after a boiler issue tripped a fire alarm Monday afternoon. There was no fire reported, but smoke was present at Crestwood Elementary School, which houses grades 2 and under.

“One of the boiler motors seized up, causing some smoke, no fire, in the furnace room, which in turn caused the fire alarm to trip,” said Jeff Schlade, superintendent of Swanton Local Schools. “The students and staff evacuated the building as trained.”

The fire department arrived to check the building and within 20-30 minutes Swanton Fire Chief Howard Myers gave the all clear to reenter the building.

“I commend the staff and students for doing their part in evacuating the building efficiently, and the fire department for responding and checking things out as quickly as they did,” said Schlade.

District officials were also grateful for the relatively mild January weather. Temperatures were in the 40s Monday afternoon, which made it a little more bearable for the students outside without coats.

“(Crestwood principal Angela) Belcher had just begun to implement the cold-weather contingency which would have included walking students to Swanton Middle School’s gym,” said Schlade. “Fortunately, the way the system works, the building still has heat and our service provider is looking into replacing the bad motor.”

By Drew Stambaugh

dstambaugh@civitasmedia.com

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU


10:59 am
Updated: 12:10 pm. |    
ROX program empowering girls
9:13 am
Updated: 12:11 pm. |    
Swanton outhustles Evergreen in one-point win